Out of sight out of mind is something that happens to all of us. But sometimes its important to think about these spots that could have potential dangers. One such space that we forget about is the crawl space. This is the space underneath our home that can access many imperative functions of our homes. Having a dirty crawlspace can leave your home vulnerable. Keeping your home and family safe is of the utmost importance to all of us and one way to protect your family is to have your crawl space inspected.
- Fungus and Mold: In the dark moist space underneath your home there is a good chance that fungus and mold could develop. Having mold and fungus is potentially harmful to the integrity of the home. Not just that but they can release toxic substances and particles that can enter your home and cause severe health concerns. If people in you home are getting sick often then it would be a smart choice to have your home checked for mold and fungus.
- Pests: There are many types of pests that could take up residence in your crawl space. Rodents love to move in to places we really don’t want them in and our crawl space is one of them rodents can cause a myriad of problems in your crawlspace. They can chew up wiring and nest in your insulation, they can also spread diseases and hantavirus. Hantavirus is extremely dangerous. A dirty crawlspace can also attract ants, cockroaches, and other insects. One that we really need to look out for is a Termite. They literally eat your home. These pests can be stopped in their tracks if you have your crawl space inspected!
- Moisture: There is always a possibility of having standing water under your home that you are unaware of. Having standing water can cause many problems for your home. It can damage your foundation, it could rot your wood, it will cause mold and fungus to grow, it will increase the growth of bacteria and odor, etc. If you have moisture in your crawl space you need to find out where it is coming from, we for sure don’t want to have sewage seeping under our homes! Plus, we have electrical under our homes, water and electricity definitely don’t go together!
- Plumbing, Electrical, Heating, and Air Conditioning: Having your crawl space inspected could prevent potentially serious problems from occurring with regular checks and maintenance on these essential functions in your home. Many times a small fix now will prevent a catastrophe or thousands of dollars worth of repairs later.
- Foundation: Your crawlspace is the window to your foundation. The foundation is much like your feet, if its damaged our destroyed all of your home will be effected. One thing that everyone asks when buying the home is about the foundation, it is an essential part of the home. This is why it is always important to get a home Inspection when buying a home.
- Insulation: Got cold feet? No really, are your feet cold? This could be a sign that the insulation under the home has fallen or has been destroyed. When your insulation is compromised then you will lose a ton of money trying to heat your home in the winter. Also, old Insulation can have asbestos in it and should be removed from your home. A crawlspace inspection can give you direction on the next step towards fixing these problems.
These are just some of the risks that you take when you have an unwatched crawlspace under your home. Getting you crawlspace inspected regularly can save you a lot of money and time in the long run. When in doubt call Your Crawl Space Guys out.